UI toolkits for Python

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 18:20:58 EDT 2005

This improved appearance has been a nice thing to see, but looks were
never really the reason I decided to leave Tkinter. It's much more
the fundamental issues of Tk, plus the fact that Tkinter was never
really "completed" (not a comment on the original author--there's
only so much one person can do) that has made me decide to leave Tk
behind.

As an example of the worst Tk issues (at least for what I was doing):

1) Marks screw up when they come to occupy the position. For example,
let's say { symbolizes a text mark with right gravity, and } a text
mark with left gravity. Remember that marks all have names, so they
can all be referred to uniquely. Now construct some text like this:
{here} is {some}  marked {text}. Delete all the text. The marks still
exist. Now, try to recreate the original text by inserting the
appropriate words at the appropriate marks. It won't work for two
reasons, the worst of which is that marks that come to occupy the
same index in the text can actually change their relative order.

2) There are no abstract references; everything is referred to by its
string name. This causes serious problems with name clashes and code
abstraction. Tkinter hides some of this, but not enough.

3) Window nesting is completely determined by window naming, which
only compounds the problem mentioned in (2).

I don't really mean to diss Tk, I just get so frustrated when I think
of what it could have been...

Thanks,
Ken