Adding a __filename__ predefined attribute to 2.5?

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Oct 14 10:12:27 EDT 2005

Rune Strand wrote:
> I've read a lot of your comments the last years. Your friendliness
> always strikes me.

Trying to be ironic? He *is* always right though! ;)

If ones ideas are getting shut down by people like Fredrik
and Steve, the rational reaction would be to assume that
they are right and that it was a bad idea. Sure, it's ok to
ask follow-up questions to understand why, but you can't expect
everybody to spend as much time explaining as Alex did, and
comments like "in your rush to pin-point lousy code, you
didn't read that, I suppose" aren't exactly constructive.

There are certainly postings made by various people in fora
such as comp.lang.python that seem less friendly than one
would prefer, and text based fora such as these obviously
don't give the same immediate emotional feedback as face to
face communication, so it's easy to hurt or get hurt, even
if that's not what people intend.

This is a small "cost" that comes with usenet and mailing
lists, and I think it's clearly worth it for us who ask for
help.

If you've read a lot of Fredrik's comments the last years, I
assume you've figured out by now that he knows Python very,
very well, and spends a lot of time helping a lot of people.
He also belongs to the fairly small group of people who've
made significant contributions to the Python core and also
written excellent third party modules.

You might feel that he's a bit grumpy for your taste, but I
think that we all owe him and many others on comp.lang.python
a lot. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I certainly prefer grumpy but good advice over friendly rubbish.

/Magnus