Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Mike Schilling mscottschilling at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:11:07 EDT 2005

"John Bokma" <john at castleamber.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96F2A7259B695castleamber at 130.133.1.4...
> "Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "John Bokma" <john at castleamber.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns96F1E4E128EA8castleamber at 130.133.1.4...
>
>>> Yup, but ISO C++ is a standard, and XML is a recommendation.
>>
>> And the practical difference between the two is....
>>
>> That's right, nil.
>
> If you both read them as a collection of words, you're right. However, as
> (freelance) programmer, things like this *do* make a difference to me, and
> my customers.

That is, you assume that files claiming to contain XML documents may
actually contain some variant of XML, because that's only a recommendation,
while files claiming to contain C++ are all ISO-conformant, because that's a
standard?

If so, you've got things precisely backwards.  C++ compilers that contain
extensions or are not quite compliant are everywhere. XML parsers that
accept non-well-formed XML are, ASFAIK, non-existent.