Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Tue Oct 18 15:34:26 EDT 2005

"Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "John Bokma" <john at castleamber.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96F38418ADF38castleamber at 130.133.1.4...
>> Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18 Oct 2005 06:57:47 GMT, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote
>>> or quoted :

>>> No. ANY consequences.  You have not explained the downside.
>>
>> ISO HTML and HTML 4.01 differ. If you were asked to write a
>> validating parser for the HTML standard, (as in ISO), and you wrote
>> one for HTML 4.01 (as in recommendation), you made quite a mistake.
>
> There are standards that conflict, and also recommendations that
> conflict. Why is confusing standard A with recommendation P worse than
>
> 1.  confusing standard A with  standard B, or
> 2.  confusing recommendation P with  recommendation Q

Calling a recommendation a standard might confuse it with the actual ISO
standard. Imagine one buys a validating parser that states "SUPPORTS ALL
STANDARDS", and they actually meant it supports all w3c recommendations.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/