A macro editor

jau jaumedominguez at airtel.net
Thu Oct 20 14:54:53 EDT 2005

Hello mates.

I'm part of a big project's developer team. We are writting an
application in Java and we are planning to add scripting functionality
to it. What we exactly are planning is to give a kind of tool that would
allow our users to write their own scripts to perform their special
operations. Something like VBA does in several comercial applications.
But, as we are GPL we have to use a close to GPL licensed-like language.

My teammates and I were talking about to use one of Python, Ruby or
Groovy. But, we haven't decided which to use.

What seems to be easier is to use Python, you know.. because of the
Jython thing. But, it is probably a mistake to take Jython without a
extensive analysis of the all possibilities.

 From my point of view, the best choice will be those that allow the
average user getting results as fast as possible rather than the power
of the language itself. At the end, what we will write is a gateway to
access to our application's Java API through the scripts written by our
users.

In this sense, I'd like to ask if someone knows if any of these
languages have a Java implementation that supports code auto-complete
and class navigation or any kind of functionality that would ease and
speed up the user's learning curve and productivity.

In other words, is it possible to have a small and lightly intelligent
workbench window (a mini-Eclipse for example) for our future "macro
editor" within our application?

I promise that if get some info I'll publish it here as soon I have it.

Thanks for your time!
Jaume