Using Python to add thumbnails to Explorer

Roger Upole rupole at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:38:15 EDT 2005

As you guessed, the icon locations are stored in the registry.
There's a key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for each
registered file type, with a default value holding the class name.
Under the class name, there's a DefaultIcon key that gives
the path to the icon.  Using python files an an example, you
have HKCR\.py with Default=Python.File, and under
HKCR\Python.File\DefaultIcon, you should have the
path to py.ico.  You can use the _winreg module to create
your own entries.

     hth
        Roger