Using Python to add thumbnails to Explorer

c d saunter christopher.saunter at durham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 12:57:53 EDT 2005

Greetings All,
	In Widows Explorer there is a thumbnail view, where you see images as thumbnails.
Applications such as MS Office and OpenOffice, when installed, cause their respective filetypes
to be previewed as thumbnails as well.

Thumbnails are stored in the Thumbs.db hidden file.

There my knowledge ends.  I'm asuming that aplications install registry keys somewhere that
register an invocation that returns a thumbnail for a given file bit this is just a guess.

What I'd like to do is write some Python script that can be invoked to add thumbnails for
certian file types (my own custom types and things like the .FITS array format.)

Googling isn't going anywhere so I am hoping there are some wizards out there with poiters...

Specifically any information on how the thumbnail system works would be great!

Cheers,
	Chris