Python reliability

Paul Rubin http
Mon Oct 10 04:57:24 EDT 2005

Ville Voipio <vvoipio at kosh.hut.fi> writes:
> Goes without saying. But I would like to be confident (or as
> confident as possible) that all bugs are mine. If I use plain
> C, I think this is the case. Of course, bad memory management
> in the underlying platform will wreak havoc. I am planning to
> use Linux 2.4.somethingnew as the OS kernel, and there I have
> not experienced too many problems before.

You might be better off with a 2.6 series kernel.  If you use Python
conservatively (be careful with the most advanced features, and don't
stress anything too hard) you should be ok.  Python works pretty well
if you use it the way the implementers expected you to.  Its
shortcomings are when you try to press it to its limits.

You do want reliable hardware with ECC and all that, maybe with multiple
servers and automatic failover.  This site might be of interest:

  http://www.linux-ha.org/