"no variable or argument declarations are necessary."

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Oct 5 08:53:57 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> You'd have to declare any variable global, or declare it local, or it
> could be a function name (defined with def) or a function arg (in the
> function scope), or maybe you could also declare things like loop
> indices.  If it wasn't one of the above, the compiler would flag it.

OK. The Python compiler would check that the name is declared but it
would not check that it is defined before use? So this would be acceptable:

def foo():
     local x
     return x

>>OK. Would it work on a per-module basis or globally?
>
> Whatever perl does.  I think that means per-module where the option is
> given as "use strict" inside the module.

>>>def do_add(x->str, y->str):
>>>      return '%s://%s' % (x, y)
>>>def do_something(node->Node):
>>>      if node.namespace == XML_NAMESPACE:
>>>          return do_add('http://', node.namespace)
>>>      elif node.namespace == ...
>>
>>Wouldn't an error be generated because XML_NAMESPACE is not declared?
>

> XML_NAMESPACE would be declared in the xml.dom module and the type
> info would carry over through the import.

Problems:
1. your type checking system is optional and xml.dom does not use it
1a. even if xml.dom did declare the type, what if the type were declared
     conditionally e.g.

     try:
          unicode
     except NameError:
          XML_NAMESPACE<str> = "..."
     else:
          XML_NAMESPACE<unicode> = u"..."

2. the compiler does not have access to the names in other modules
    anyway

>>And I notice that you are not doing any checking that "namespace" is a
>>valid attribute of the node object. Aren't the typos class of error
>>that you are looking to catch just as likely to occur for attributes
>>as variables?
>

> The node object is declared to be a Node instance and if the Node
> class definition declares a fixed list of slots, then the compiler
> would know the slot names and check them.

How would you find the class definition for the Node object at
compile-time? And by "slots" do you mean the existing Python slots
concept or something new?

> If the Node class doesn't
> declare fixed slots, then they're dynamic and are looked up at runtime
> in the usual way.

So only pre-defined slotted attributes would be accessable (if the
object uses slots). So the following would not work:

foo = Foo() # slots defined
foo.my_attribute = 'bar'
print foo.my_attribute

Cheers,