Windows vs Linux [was: p2exe using wine/cxoffice]

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Wed Oct 26 14:55:15 EDT 2005

Tim Golden enlightened us with:
> Well, fair enough. Although I don't think that on its own this
> constitutes "rubbish".

True - it's just one of the reasons that shift its status toward
rubishness ;-)

> Not quite sure what this means. As in ANSI support? (Perfectly true
> - definitely lacking there). Or something else?

ANSI, or even better VT220 or xterm support.

> Well, peculiarly, you can do this (as you're probably aware) from
> the Properties menu and it'll work immediately

Didn't know it would work immediately. Still awkward that you have to
type numbers just to resize a window.

> albeit without advising the running programs that it's resized, so
> only new lines will take advantage of the new width. Now, why they
> didn't let you do the same thing by grabbing the border and pulling,
> I don't know!

My point exactly! Especially since they do allow you to vertically
resize it that way.

> Ummm. Not quite true, at least not on my XP machine

Hmmm... maybe the 'cd' example was a bad one. Other commands don't
have smart completion. You can't complete "ipconfig /rel" to "ipconfig
/release" for instance.

> I'm sure you're right: given moderately naive users, a Windows box
> is *extremely* likely to be zombified. It's just that it doesn't
> have to be that way with the proper care and attention.

Which is another reason why I don't like Windows and do like Linux:
the latter will be fine with just some security updates every now and
then. Windows needs spyware sweepers, virus scanners and firewalls.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa