how to modify text in html form from python

Paul Rubin http
Fri Oct 21 19:23:49 EDT 2005

"Philippe C. Martin" <pmartin at snakecard.com> writes:
> ***** HOW (if there's a better way let me know please) ******
> As I have not found any better solution yet, I am trying to do the following
> (on the server there is an html file and a cgi file)

If I understand it, you're trying to use a smart card to authenticate
a web site login.  The major browsers already have smart card interfaces
(Windows CAPI for MSIE, or PKCS11 for Netscape/Moz*) so you shouldn't
need a plugin.  On the other hand, smart cards are very slow.

The typical approach is as follows (MSIE version).  Stop using special
smart card programs and just use a card that implements CAPI with a
from the vendor and that can sign against an X509 certificate.  The
CSP will have a special signature that makes it less scary to install
than a browser plugin.  You'll have to issue a cert for the smart card
and there's various approaches to that, so I'll skip that part.  Set
up a TLS server to require a client cert from the CA that signed the
smart card.  The browser should recognize the challenge and select the
right cert.  The CSP will have its own interface for the user entering
a PIN along with inserting the card.  Once you have the TLS connection
established, set a secure cookie in the client session and then redirect
the browser to another URL that doesn't require the smart card (because
otherwise the card will have to re-authenticate every click, which is
very slow).  From then on, use the cookie for authentication (it can
have a timeout or whatever).