Accessing a dll from Python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 21 10:29:30 EDT 2005

On 2005-10-20, dcrespo <dcrespo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone give me lights on how can I deal with dlls from python?

Use the ctypes module.

> My main purpose is to get access to a Unitech PT600 Bar Code system. I
> have the dll that works fine through Visual Basic. But I'm migrating to
> Python, so I need a way to use the same dll, or a C library.

ctypes can call dll functions using either C or Pascal calling
conventsions.

> I tried to access a dll created by myself on Visual Basic. The
> dll just have one function. It works perfect when using it on
> a VB project just including it in the references
> configuration. But I can't access it from python. I tried the
> ctypes module.

ctypes has always worked for me.

Sorry, I've no clue about anything VB-related unless it's
Victoria Bitter.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a VISION! It's
                                  at               a RANCID double-FISHWICH on