Accessing a dll from Python

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Oct 21 02:16:06 EDT 2005

"dcrespo" <dcrespo at gmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone give me lights on how can I deal with dlls from python?
>
>My main purpose is to get access to a Unitech PT600 Bar Code system. I
>have the dll that works fine through Visual Basic. But I'm migrating to
>Python, so I need a way to use the same dll, or a C library.
>
>I tried to access a dll created by myself on Visual Basic. The dll just
>have one function. It works perfect when using it on a VB project just
>including it in the references configuration. But I can't access it
>from python. I tried the ctypes module.

Are you talking about VB6 or VB.NET?  If you had to add a reference, then
it is either a COM interface or a managed code class.  DLLs don't get in
through references -- they use the Declare statement.

COM interfaces are pretty easy to call in Python.  Calling managed code is
almost impossible right now.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.