Python vs Ruby

Amol Vaidya mynewsa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:28:27 EDT 2005

"Casey Hawthorne" <caseyhHAMMER_TIME at istar.ca> wrote in message
news:02efl19c4n4994vtlt2ubrs7ulg4mcm8ug at 4ax.com...
> What languages do you know already?
>
> What computer science concepts do you know?
>
> What computer programming concepts do you know?
>

> Have you heard of Scheme?
>

> Ruby is a bit Perl like -- so if you like Perl, chances are you might
> like Ruby.
>
> Python is more like Java.
>
> I have heard, but have not been able to verify that if a program is
> about
> 10,000 lines in C++
> it is about
> 5,000 lines in Java
> and it is about
> 3,000 lines in Python (Ruby to?)

I've done a lot of studying on my own, and taken the classes that my
high-school offers. I feel that I have a fairly good understanding of Java,
and basic OO concepts due to that. I've created some semi-complex programs
in java, in my opinion, such as networked checkers, 8-player blackjack, a
space-shooter type game, a copy of mario (one level, anyway), and some other
stuff. I've also done a bit of studying on C. I've done a few projects in C,
including another space-shooter type of game using SDL, an IRC client and
some simple database-type programs. I also gave a shot at assembly using
NASM for x86 before, but didn't get too far. I wrote some trivial code --
wrote to the video buffer, played with some bios interrupts, stuff like
that. The only thing I did in assembly was create a program that loads at
boot-up, and loads another program that just reiterates whatever you type
in. I only did that because I was curious. That's about as far as my
programming knowledge/experience goes.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by programming concepts. I'm familiar with
OO through Java, and procedural programming through C. I'd be more detailed,
but I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Sorry.

I have no idea what Scheme is, but I'll cettainly look it up as soon as I'm
done writing this.

I've never given Perl a shot. It was another language I considered learning,
but my father's friend told me to go with Python or Ruby.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I wasn't too lengthy in this post.