Python vs Ruby

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Thu Oct 20 04:48:30 EDT 2005

Amol Vaidya wrote:
> Hi. I am interested in learning a new programming language, and have been
> debating whether to learn Ruby or Python. How do these compare and contrast
> with one another, and what advantages does one language provide over the
> other? I would like to consider as many opinions as I can on this matter
> before I start studying either language in depth. Any help/comments are
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

The main point about "advantages" is that Python has a larger community,
a larger choice of libraries, and is somewhat more mature (which is not
surprising since Python is a little bit older than Ruby).

Else, both are hi-level highly dynamic object oriented languages, both
are fun to program with, and both are easy to get started with. So the
best thing to do is to give both a try and go with the one that fits
your brain.

--
bruno desthuilliers
ruby -e "print 'onurb at xiludom.gro'.split('@').collect{|p|