Moving to Win XP as a Python developer

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Oct 14 15:58:56 EDT 2005

Trent Mick <trentm at ActiveState.com> writes:

> [Thomas Heller wrote]
>> I have an elisp function bound to a key in XEmacs that starts cmd in the
>> directory where the current buffer is.  IMO this is very convenient.  To
>> access explorer from that command prompt (in the rare cases that I need
>> it) I use 'start .'.
>
> I kind of have the same thing with Dave's Quick Search Deskbar
> (http://www.dqsd.net/) and my little "go" script
> (http://trentm.com/projects/go/). The keystrokes to open a cmd.exe shell
> in my "src" folder is down to:
>
>     <Windows+S>    # to focus in the Quick Search Deskbar textbox
>     go src<Enter>
>
> or to open Explorer in that dir:
>
>     go -o src<Enter>
>
> or in another "tagged" dir:
>
>     go ~           # open in my home dir
>
> DQSD is a fantastic tool for speeding up launching other things, too:
> mainly Google searches.

Since we are speaking of tricks here:

I have other keys defined in XEmacs for context-sensitive help on the
word under the cursor in Python's htmlhelp file (F2), and the MSDN
library (F6).  Kind of a hack which needs a small compiled C program,
though, since I did not know how to call the needed apis with elisp.

But, what I'm still missing is a function that finds and opens a Python
module.

Thomas