Jargons of Info Tech industry

Scott Ellsworth scott at alodar.com
Thu Oct 13 19:54:58 EDT 2005

In article <7xk6ghkflq.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> writes:
> > Next Mr. Phish had to present his passport etc when he got his Thawte
> > ID.  Now Interpol has a much better handle on putting him in jail.
> > He can't repudiate his phishing attempt.
>
> Any underage drinker in a college town can tell you a hundred ways to
> get sufficient fake ID to get around that.

Most such jurisdictions get very excited, though, if that underage
drinker kills someone while driving drunk.  Ofttimes, that gets _real_
police attention, rather than occasional bouncer investigation.

Make each recieved spam be worth a buck to the reciever, and the
spammers/phishers/etc will be facing felony charges.  I suspect much of
the spamming would stop.

Some, of course, would continue.  Pyramid schemes still get proposed,
but their scope is much smaller.

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
scott at alodar.nospam.com
Java and database consulting for the life sciences