Jargons of Info Tech industry

Tim Tyler tim at tt1lock.org
Tue Oct 18 03:59:47 EDT 2005

In comp.lang.java.programmer Ross Bamford <rosco at roscopeco.remove.co.uk> wrote or quoted:

> Roedy, I would just _love_ to see the response from the industry when you
> tell them they should dump their whole mail infrastructure, and switch
> over to a whole new system (new protocols, new security holes, new
> problems start to finish). [...]

That's essentially what the IM folk did.

It seems quite possible that future email systems will evolve out of
existing IM ones.

Essentially, IM can do pretty-much everything email can these days, but
the reverse is not true at all.

IM also seems more evolvable than email is managing to be.

About all email has going for it these days is an open format and a
large existing user base.