Simple prototype text editor in python

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:49:13 EDT 2005

thakadu wrote:
> Hi Viktor
>
> At the moment I dont have any web site where I can
> upload it. Do you or anyone have any suggestions or
> know of any web sites where one can post python code?
> If not please email me and I will send you the code by email.

If you package it with distutils, then you can upload the source
distribution automatically to PyPI:

  http://python.org/pypi

> Regarding the license I have not yet decided what type
> of license (if any, since its very few lines of code)  but probably
> will be GPL or BSD style. I have no former experience in
> licensing code so any suggestions will be welcome there as well.
> (For one, do you know if simply stating somewhere in the
> code "This is licensed under blah blah" is sufficient
> to consider the code licensed?)

Perhaps, but you really should include the full license text somewhere.
Since your code is so short, then I highly recommend using a short,
permissive license. It does no one any good to attach a license that's
longer than the program itself.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu