RELEASED Python 2.4.2 (final)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 2 15:20:55 EDT 2005

Bugs wrote:
> - I had an old ActiveState python24.dll in \windows\system32 which I
> deleted.  That must've been left over from a 2.4.1 ActiveState
> installation which I had installed then uninstalled sometime ago.
>
> - I then uninstalled Python 2.4.2 and re-installed it for "all" users.
> After that everything seemed to work properly.

That is somewhat mysterious...

> I'm not sure where the Python 2.4.2 installation put it's python24.dll?

It depends on whether this is a "for all" installation, or a "just for
me" installation. In the "for all" installation, it goes to
\windows\system32. In the "just for me" installation, it goes to
c:\python24 (ie. the directory where python.exe is). The rationale
is that a non-admin user might not have enough permissions to
write to system32.

> Please let me know if you need additional details.

It would be good if you could recall what mode the original 2.4.2
installation had. If it was "just for me", then you might have
installed the 2.4.2 version of python24.dll into the python directory.
Still, it is then puzzling why it would have used the version in
system32, as the application's (i.e. python.exe) directory should
be searched first.

For the record, please also report what operating system you
were using.

The other theory is that the 2.4.2 installer failed to overwrite
the ActivePython version. This should not have happened, though,
since the installer should have noticed that the 2.4.2 version
is newer than the 2.4.1 one (and indeed, in a test installation,
it did so correctly).

It is probably too late to recreate all details, so we should
just watch whether it happens again.

Regards,
Martin