Stripping ASCII codes when parsing

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Oct 14 14:55:09 EDT 2005

I am working with a text format that advises to strip any ascii control
characters (0 - 30) as part of parsing data and also the ascii pipe
character (124) from the data. I think many of these characters are
from a different time. Since I have never seen most of these characters
in text I am not sure how these first 30 control characters are all
represented (other than say tab (\t), newline(\n), line return(\r) ) so
what should I do to remove these characters if they are ever
encountered. Many thanks.