Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Mon Oct 17 01:36:53 EDT 2005

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <jadedgamer at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ufyr1990k.fsf at hotmail.com...

> "David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> writes:

>>     How is that better? Nothing in your car depends upon what tires you
>> have
>> on. But all of the rest of the software on your computer is dependent
>> upon
>> your choice of OS.

> Which cars let you install another engine as easily as you can install
> a new operating system? Admit the analogy sucks, like all car-computer
> analogies invariably do.

    What? If you install a new operating system, all your existing software
stops working. You would encounter precisely analogous problems if you
replaced your car's engine. The transmission might no longer fit, for
example. I'm not sure why this analogy matters, but it does seem to be
pretty accurate.

>>     I don't really know why and I don't particularly care. I think it has
>> lot to do with support costs and may also have to do with the type of
>> deals
>> Microsoft offers.

> Microsoft apologists always assume that training cost for Windows
> users are zero, that people "know" Windows from the start. If that was
> true, there would not be a multi-million market in Windows user
> support.

    I neither said nor assumed that. The fact is, they have to support
Windows because it's what most of their users want. So whatever that costs,
they have to pay it. I think it's pretty low, actually, only because their
solution to any problem is to reinstall. Yes, that works, but it does kind
of screw over the user.

    On the other hand, supporting Linux is not something they have to do to
stay competitive. The market for Linux desktops is small. It's better served
by niche companies that can grab a larger share of the smaller market.

>>     The point is, they do. And there's nothing unusual, immoral, or
>> problemmatic about it. If you don't think the total package is worth the
>> total package price, buy elsewhere.

> But when Microsoft were doing their illegal arm-wringing of dealers,
> there was no "elsewhere" to go.

    There were always other places to go. There was never a time in this
story when you couldn't buy computer components, without an OS, and put
together your own computer.

    As for it being illegal, it was illegal only because if was Microsoft
doing it. There's nothing illegal about a car dealer not selling a car
without an engine. And the only reason it was illegal for Microsoft was
because Microsoft was deemed to have a monopoly, and the only reason they
were deemed to have a monopoly (well, not the only, but a major reason) was
that the market was defined as "desktop operating systems for x86
computers".

    DS