UI toolkits for Python

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Mon Oct 17 06:01:14 EDT 2005

> With OS X compatibility you tend to come across with the
> fact that many "OS X compatible" things are actually X11
> things. X11 certainly looks different from Aqua (the native
> interface).

But imho, Gnome _does_ "look and feel" quite Mac-ish in the sense that
its ergonomics has certain things in common with the Mac, even more
with the old MacOS classic than with the pretty "gadget-ish" Aqua
interface.

For example, with its hierarchical multi-column listview, Nautilus
"looks" and "feels" perfectly like the old MacOS classic Finder,
something that lots of long-time Mac users miss a lot on MacOS X.

Another example is MDI (or "windows inside windows"), which is a no-no
on the Mac (and afaik not supported by GTK), or multi-pains (sic!). As
a long-time Mac user (since system 6.0.x), I did like a lot the GUI of
WingIDE (which uses GTK) because it allows me to switch from a
multi-pain layout to a multi-window layout.

> GTK is an example of this. There is an Aqua version of
> GTK, but it seems to be rather outdated.

There's a new effort for a "aqua-native" implementation:

http://micke.hallendal.net/archives/2005/10/gtk-macosx.html

> The newer versions
> run on X11 but installing them may be just laborious or
> then plain pain depending on your luck. And you still need
> the X11 installed.

One advantage of an X11 application is, obviously, the possibility to
use it from a different computer without the requirement to install it
there.

"Hey, my Mac can do that for free, while your Windows needs an
expensive "Server" license.!" >;-> Shhh, don't tell them about
Cygwin...

> So, if you are looking for something that looks like Mac
> and works like Mac, do not touch anything with X11.

As a long-time Mac user, I somewhat disagree, see above. :-)

To me, a GTK application with a really well-thought ergonomic user
interface is a lot more Mac-ish than a pile of "aqua-native" visual
gadgetry.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller