Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Jeroen Wenting jwentingathornetdotdemondotnl
Sun Oct 16 05:54:20 EDT 2005

"Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
news:86ll0vs1sw.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...
>>> They got where they are  by CHEATING.  That is why they are evil, not
>>> because they have a large market share.
>> no, they got their by clever marketing and generally having a product
>> that
>> was easier to use for the average user than anything the competition made
>> and a lot more powerful than other products created for their main target
>> market.
>
> What you call "clever marketing" the DOJ calls "monopolistic
> practices". The courts agreed with the DOJ. Having had several large
> PC manufacturers refuse to sell me a system without some form of
> Windows because MS made it impossible for them to compete if they
> didn't agree to do so, I agree with the courts and the DOJ.

And were later forced to rescind. The judge who wrote that opinion is well
known for his anti-Microsoft activism.

>> Prices would be far far higher than they are today
>
> I disagree. Before Gates decided to sell BASIC, software was very
> cheap.  It started getting cheap again in the late 80s. Now that cheap
> software is threatening MS, they're doing their best to shut down all
> the sources of quality cheap software, with there usual disregard for
> truth, legality, ethics or the good of either the customer or their
> business partners.

WordPerfect (to take an example) cost several thousand dollars.
When Microsoft released Office 4 for a few hundred WP was forced to lower
prices radically, and so was Lotus (to name a few).

>> IBM's prediction that there would be 5 computers (not counting game
>> computers like the Comodores and Spectrums) by 2000 would likely have
>> come
>> true.
>
> I see. You're a troll.

nope, I'm just sick and tired of trolls like you calling everyone who
doesn't share their hatred of Microsoft a troll.