Jargons of Info Tech industry

Sun Oct 9 11:40:34 EDT 2005

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:50:12 +0200, Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen wrote:

> Tim Tyler wrote:
> <snip>
>>>Only if your photos are so obscure and confusing that they need captions.
>>>
>>>"Here's Johnny with the dog. Here is Johnny with the dog again. This one
>>>is Johnny on his own. Here is the dog. Oh look, it is Johnny with the dog
>>>again -- that's the dog on the left, in case it isn't clear. Just for a
>>>change, this is Johnny wearing a hat. It is blue with a feather in it,
>>>in case you couldn't tell from, oh I don't know, looking at the actual
>>>picture."
>>

>> What have you got against captions?
>>
>> Giving photos captions is a *very* common practice.
>
> Perhaps he has a search engine that can find blue hats in an image and
> recognize people?

Yes. It is called "eyes". I look at the image, and miracle upon miracles,
I recognise Johnny wearing a hat.

Then, if I have any need to save that image rather than trash it, I name
it and file it in a directory appropriately, so that I can instantly find
it later without needing to call up a search engine.

Honestly, anyone would think that photos and photo albums never existed
before Google. Why force one particular bad technological solution on
everyone for the sake of something which many people don't even perceive
as a problem?

--
Steven.