How to write an API for a Python application?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sat Nov 19 05:15:22 EST 2005

>DG> In article <m2veyp3d7h.fsf at ordesa.lan>,
>DG> Piet van Oostrum  <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>>> A more lightweight solution might be Ice. <http://www.zeroc.com/ice.html>
>>> It is architecturally similar to Corba, but with less overhead.

>DG> More lightweight and less overhead in what sense?  The performance
>DG> measurements I've seen show that Ice is significantly slower than many
>DG> CORBA implementations. If you mean more lightweight in terms of ease
>DG> of use, I don't see how. I quite agree that it's more lightweight in
>DG> terms of size of specification and difficulty for the ORB implementor,
>DG> but that's largely irrelevant to the users of the technology.

On http://www.zeroc.com/performance/ they compare it with TAO and it seems
to be faster. It looks also a bit simpler. I don't have experience with Ice
myself but a colleague of mine experimented with it and was enthousiastic.

It could well be that it is comparable in speed to omniORB, which is my
favorite platform for Corba on Python, or maybe even slower. Do you have
benchmark results about that?

But as I also said there is nothing wrong with using Corba, and the
advantage is that it is an established standard.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org