OpenSSL in Python

Juho Schultz juho.schultz at helsinki.fi
Tue Nov 1 06:13:17 EST 2005

dcrespo wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> What do I have to install to get the following code work (Win XP,
> Python 2.4.2)
>

> from OpenSSL import SSL
> import config
>
> KEY_FILE = config.SSL_KEY_FILE
> CERT_FILE = config.SSL_CERT_FILE
>

> ----------------------------------
>
> I've been looking for OpenSSL for python. I found pyOpenSSL, but it
> requires the OpenSSL library, which I only found on
> http://www.openssl.org/, but don't know how to install.

Open source is very often distributed as source tarballs that contain
installation instructions. So:

Download archive - extract - read files named INSTALL, README, ...

Repeating the advice you have from some other posters:
You have to install both OpenSSL (the library) and
pyOpenSSL (so python can use the library).

> Other thing is the "config" module... I'm lost. Someone knows? :-S

I'd guess "config" is local module related to your system setup.
Nothing with that name comes with Python or pyOpenSSL.

> My main purpose is to enable xml-rpc server over an SSL connection.

After installing pyOpenSSL have a look at

pyOpenSSL-0.6/examples/SecureXMLRPCServer.py

> Thanks
>
> Daniel

I hope this helped a bit.