Map of email origins to Python list

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Nov 7 18:40:32 EST 2005

Claire McLister <mclister at zeesource.net> writes:
> Thanks, Alan. You are absolutely right, we are not using the
> NNTP-Posting-Host header for obtaining the IP address.

Yes, but what are you using?

> The Python list is unique among the lists that we have handled so far,
> in that it has a cross-posting mechanism with a net news. Hence, it
> seems we are getting many more wrong locations here than any other
> email list maps we've done so far. We've done them for Linux kernel,
> postresql, apache, tomcat, etc. You can find them by searching their
> names in the 'find' box. Not many people reported wrong locations on
> those maps.

Hmm. Are you using a different method than you used for the mail
lists? Because my mail and news follows the same path, using the same
host name. The only difference is that my ISP uses supernews.com news
servers, so my postings appear to go direct from my domain to
supernews - but the only place this shows up is in the Path: header.

For the record - I (and my servers) are in Virginia, the domain name I
use is registered to an address in Oklahoma, and everything is relayed
through my ISP in Berkeley. Your map has me in San Francisco. Ok, you
nearly got my ISPs hardware.

> So, we'll have to go back and fix the script that is extracting the IP
> address (which is written in Python, btw). Let me know if someone is
> interested in taking a look at it and I can post it somewhere.

What IP address it is extracting? Well, if you post it, I'll look at
it and figure it out from that.

   <mike