Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Xah Lee xah at xahlee.org
Tue Nov 8 08:03:38 EST 2005

Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
From: "Veli-Pekka Tätilä"
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:25:35 +0200
Subject: Re: Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Xah Lee wrote:
> Today i need to use Python to compress/decompress gzip files. <snip>
> However, scanning the doc after 20 seconds there's no single example
> showing how it is used.
> jargons of Class, Constructor, Object etc are thrown together with
> presumption of reader's expertise of IO programing in Python <snip>

I se the problem now. Perl usually doesn't have that kind of trouble as

there are plenty of example snippets and the synopsis part even before
the
description.

But if you want to bash the Python docs, I'd like to mention that they
are
pretty inaccessible and unmanagable with speech. Here's my post about
it in
comp.langh.python:

http://tinyurl.com/dfrb7

(or search Google Groups with vtatila python)

Though I've carefully explain the problems and provided a number of
solutions, no-one has replied yet. I reckon that, ether people don't
know
what I'm talking about accessibility being such a nieche topic still,
or
else my explanation is all too elaborate or just heavy to read through.

Well, I've tried. Yet another reason to stay with Perl. Whose docs are,
by
the way, very accessible in general.

PS: I won't cross-post as I'm not subscribed to the Python group.

Thank you Veli-Pekka Tätilä for your thoughtful reply.

I have cross posted it for you.

 Xah
 xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/