ncurses' Dark Devilry

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Nov 29 18:28:31 EST 2005

On 2005-11-29, Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Christopher Subich wrote:
>
>> Why not wrap your 1-3 in a function of your own?
>
> It sounds like the OP is concerned about the visual effect of
> the cursor moving on the screen while characters are written.
>
> I doubt whether curses provides any way of controlling that.
> Curses was designed for glass ttys, on most of which it is
> physically impossible to write characters without the cursor
> moving. The best you can do is move it back to where you want
> it afterwards.

While you do have to move the cursor to the location where you
want to write, some terminals allow you to make the cursor
invisible.  This can reduce the visual distraction when you
need to update something on the screen that isn't where the
cursor belongs (from the user's point of view).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Like I always
                                  at               say -- nothing can beat