General question about Python design goals

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Nov 28 05:27:51 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-28, Fredrik Lundh schreef <fredrik at pythonware.com>:
> Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
>
>> What about design goals such as:
>>
>> - orthogonality
>> - coherence, consistency
>> - principle of least astonishment ("Python fits my brain")
>> - simplicity ("kiss" principle)
>> - aesthetics, symmetry
>>
>> Actually, which priority have the above design goals for Python? Are
>> other design goals considered more important?
>
>     - A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds

What is so foolish about the consistency that all sequence types
have a count method?

The way this "pearl of wisdom" is used in this newsgroup, I expect
one day someone to use "+" for substraction and '-" for addition and
then when people complain about that not being consistent they get
answered by the above quote.

--
Antoon Pardon