General question about Python design goals

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Nov 28 13:11:43 EST 2005

In article <mailman.1274.1133177700.18701.python-list at python.org>,
Sebastien Douche  <sdouche at gmail.com> wrote:

>I use this thread to asking on python conception : why python have so
>many builtins ?
>I cannot understand why we use a builtins for open a file. Is it a old
>decision ? If anyone have a pointer of this or can explain me.

One of the primary goals for Python is to make it easy to use for new
programmers.  Particularly for sysadmins, opening a file for reading and
writing is considered such a basic task that it's part of the builtins.

There are some builtins slated for removal in Python 3.0 (e.g. apply(),
which is superseded by *args/**kwargs being allows on the calling side).

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair