3d Transformation

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Nov 29 20:51:37 EST 2005

Tyler Eaves wrote:

>Got a 3d algorithmns question. Algorithmn will be implemented in python,
>so a library would be great if it works on windows. Basically my function
>would be defined as such.
>
>Problem is one of coordinate transformation. Give a 3d vector, which
>reprents the +z axis in the source coordinate system, and a rotation value
>around that axis for determinging the x and y axises, I wish to translate
>a point from that geometry into "world" geometry, or in other words
>absolute coordinates. Input data is a 3d path with banking data that will
>be sampled at regular points for purposes of building other geometry.

You can find code for doing this in the OpenGLContext project.  The
lowest-level code is in the vrml.vrml97.transformmatrix module, which
just generates matrices for the various transformations, rotations and
scales.  You can find the module here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pyopengl/vrml/vrml97/transformmatrix.py?view=markup

the module also allows for generating inverse arrays (what you use for
transforming from outer coordinates to inner, instead of inner to
outer), and has an accelerator C module for much of the functionality.

The higher levels in OpenGLContext support compositing multiple
transformations in a containment hierarchy for a scenegraph.  See e.g.
OpenGLContext/scenegraph/transform and OpenGLContext/scenegraph/nodepath
module for that higher-level stuff.

Anyway, hope this helps,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher