2d array slicing problem

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 20:34:29 EST 2005

Tune Kamae (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> I am thinking to upgrade my desktop to 64bit cpu with 16GB memory to handle
> large astronomical images and data.  I wonder if
> 1) the latest numarry (besides 2d slicing) has been tested with one or more
>     64 bit CPU and Linux distributions

Certainly.

> 2) with 64 bit address space, will numarray be able to handle larger arrays
>     and matrices (many 3d-arrays 100x100x100 and matrices 50k x 50k)?
>     (with 32 bit CPU I was limited by the memory.)
>
> I would appreciate knowing about your experience.

You'll probably want to ask on the appropriate mailing list[1], but
since you ask here, I will say that there are limitations that prevent
numarray from fully utilizing 64-bit systems. numarray uses the Python
buffer interface which is addressed by 32-bit integers even on 64-bit
platforms[2]. There has been some work on numarray's replacement,
scipy_core, to address this deficiency, but more work needs to be done
and more volunteers with 64-bit systems are needed. 100x100x100 arrays
should work with numarray; 50000x50000 perhaps not. You could always try
and let us know.