[OT] Map of email origins to Python list

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:13:02 EST 2005

Claire McLister:

> We try to get a best guess estimate of the originating IP and its
> location. If we cannot find that, we fall back on the earliest server
> that has a location information. Clearly this marks quite a few email
> origins in the wrong way. It doesn't do the collection of ALL gmail
> addresses this way, however. If you do a filter on 'gmail' in the 'Name'
> filter, you'll see a lot of gmail addresses all over the world. So, we
> need to do a better job of guessing the originating IP, and not try to
> go too far forward.

    The points are labelled with the email address which won't always be
the account posted from. I'm listed in both Sydney (correct) and
Melbourne with my gmail account (actually a subaddress,
nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com, only used for news posting) but I post to
comp.lang.python through Thunderbird on my local machine through my
ISP's news server. I expect the marked locations are for the ISP's news
hubs. Gmail only comes into the picture when I'm sent spam in response
to a post.

    Multiple locations for gmail doesn't imply discovery of real origins
of traffic through gmail.

    Neil