General question about Python design goals

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Nov 28 09:39:25 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-28, Duncan Booth schreef <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I could come up with an other example where I would like
>> to have both some list method and use it as a dictionary key and
>> again people could start about that implementation having some
>> flaws and give better implementations.
>>
>> I'm just illustrating that some list-like methods with tuples
>> could be usefull.
>>
> But you aren't illustrating that at all. You came up with an example which
> showed, at least to me, a good argument why tuples should *not* have list
> methods.

No I gave an example, you would implement differently. But even
if you think my example is bad, that would make it a bad argument
for tuples having list methods. That is not the same as being
a good argument against tuples having list methods. The trouble is
to really convince would probably require a complete worked out module,
but then I don't have the time to come up with a complete worked out
module just to illustrate something. So I come up with just a skeleton
of something to get the idea across and what happens is that the
attention goes to how the skeleton could be approved in other ways,
instead of trying to understand what ideas are trying to be
communicated.

--
Antoon Pardon