Using Which Version of Linux

Maciej Dziardziel fiedzia at fiedzia.prv.pl
Sat Nov 5 06:04:55 EST 2005

blahman (blah at blah.blah) wrote:

> ok, i m going to use Linux for my Python Programs, mainly because i
> need to see what will these fork() and exec() do. So, can anyone tell
> me which flavour of linux i should use, some say that Debian is more
> programmer friendly, or shold i use fedora, or Solaris. Because these
> three are the only ones i know of that are popular and free.

A standard answer is - use that one, which is known to your friends, so they
can help you. Actually all Linux distros come with python and huge amount
of additional modules, so choose any. Fedora, Mandrake, Suse and Ubuntu
willi be easier for begginers, as they are targeted on inexperienced Linux
users (what doesn't mean they cannot be used by experienced),
Debian requires some knowledge (well, way more then other distros) but i
like it for its clarity, wonderful package manager apt and control i have
over it, it is also well documented and popular. I suggest first use
Knoppix - Debian based distro, that boots from cd, doesn't require
installation and contains tons of software, including python of course.
Solaris is a different os, has nothing to do with Linux.

--
Maciej "Fiedzia" Dziardziel (fiedzia (at) fiedzia (dot) prv (dot) pl)
www.fiedzia.prv.pl

It is my fondest hope that you are reading these while you should be
   working. Isn't that what the net's really about anyways? Sort of a place
   to go 'researching' while you should be getting stuff done!