Using Which Version of Linux

malv malvert at telenet.be
Sat Nov 5 17:14:02 EST 2005

blah at blah.blah wrote:
> ok, i m going to use Linux for my Python Programs, mainly because i
> need to see what will these fork() and exec() do. So, can anyone tell
> me which flavour of linux i should use, some say that Debian is more
> programmer friendly, or shold i use fedora, or Solaris. Because these
> three are the only ones i know of that are popular and free.
> --
>  * Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 7
>  * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
You have to look out for the version of Python the distro comes with
2.4. Some don't and it may be nasty having to deal with different
versions installed next to one another. (You will probably not be able
to safely remove the original version as the distro uses it for many
things.)

Another point to watch for is things like Python bindings and easyness
of gui (free) installation. FWIW, I like Suse10.0 (Novell). It has
kde-Python bindings to Qt installed. It also has eric3 available. So
without any additional cost or trouble, you'll have a powerful, dream
developer's system.
malv