Map of email origins to Python list

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:05:46 EST 2005

[Robert Kern]

[mensanator at aol.com]
> Aha, I post to the usenet through Google. Makes the map application
> all the more stupid, doesn't it?

Actually, no, because Google Groups sets the NNTP-Posting-Host header to
the IP address from which the user connected to Google. So your post to
which I'm replying came from IP address "68.73.244.37", which reverses
to "adsl-68-73-244-37.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net".

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/ca06957210fe12ae?dmode=source

So presumably "chcgil" indicates you're in Chicago, Illinois?

Although I do have to point out that the map makes it appear as if I've
been busy posting from all over Dublin's Southside, which, as anyone who
has seen "The Commitments" can attest, is a deep insult a born-and-bred
Northsider such as myself ;-)

--
alan kennedy