wxPython Licence vs GPL

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 09:01:30 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:57:12 -0800, Scott David Daniels wrote:
> > I would, at the very least, acknowledge the wxPython origin of the code
> > whether any remains or not (credit is appreciated and cheap to give).
>
> Ha ha, don't ask movie director James Cameron about *that*. On the basis
> of a throw-away line that he "got the idea" for Terminator from a couple
> of Harlan Ellison stories, he and the studio were sued by Ellison, who
> ultimately won and was awarded millions.

Yes, but this anecdote is more relevant to various "modern" patent
regimes, not copyright.

> In this world where ideas are thought to be property (if only I could
> own the idea that ideas can be owned) the safest position is to claim
> you've never read a book, seen a line of code, been to the movies or heard
> a song in your life.

This is somewhat difficult given that the questioner wanted to include
"evidence" of having seen the code (ie. the code itself) in his own
work. Not reproducing copyright attributions is a sure way to be on the
end of copyright infringement proceedings.

> (Only half joking.)

I should hope so. But I imagine the questioner was looking for serious
advice.

Paul