2.4.2 on AIX 4.3 make fails on threading

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Tue Nov 22 15:29:41 EST 2005

When I try to build 2.4.2 on AIX 4.3, it fails on missing thread
objects.  I ran ./configure --without-threads --without-gcc.

Before using --without-threads I had several .pthread* symbols missing.
  I do not have to have threading on this build, but it would be helpful
if it is possible.  The machine has the IBM C compiler.  Can anyone
suggest a configuration or some change that I can make to cause this to
build correctly?  Thanks.

$ xlc 2>&1|head -1
   VisualAge C++ Professional / C for AIX Compiler, Version 5

         ./Modules/makexp_aix Modules/python.exp . libpython2.4.a;  c++
  -Wl,-bE:Modules/python.exp -lld -o python  Modules/python.o
libpython2.4.a -ldl    -lm
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ._PyGILState_NoteThreadState
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.

Stop.