Python's website does a great disservice to the language

Steve Horsley steve.horsley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:11:32 EST 2005

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> May God save us from "professional" looking web sites.
>> I like the Python web site.  It's simple, easy to read, and easy to
>> use.
>
> I strongly agree with you, the web is full of web sites that are nice
> "looking" but have microscopic fixed fonts (against the very spirit of
> Html), are full of useless flash, have lots of html structures nested
> inside other ones (PHP sites are often like this, with dirty
> sourcecode), are difficult/slow to render on differnt/old browsers
> (best viewed with its webmaster browser only), are two times bigger
> than necessary, etc. Python web site can be improved, but there are lot
> of ways to make it worse.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Agreed completely. Because the site works WITH HTML rather than
AGAINST it, it renders very quickly - small data size and easy on
the browser. It is a very functional reference site and
"prettying it up" would probably greatly detract from its utility.

I hope the new site design continues to be as easy on the eye,
and as quick to use.

Last time I wrote to a web site saying how clean and easy their
web site was to use, they added a bucket-load of graphics shortly
afterwards. Made it take twice as long to load, and added nothing
to usability.

A new logo might be in order though.

Steve