Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Nov 6 03:40:11 EST 2005

On 05 Nov 2005 19:19:29 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
>> > It's only -because- of those licenses that there's any reason not to
>> > bundle.
>>
>> Actually, there are other reasons, just as there are reasons besides
>> licensing for not simply including third party libraries into the
>> standard library.
>
>I'm not talking about 3rd party libraries, I'm talking about 3rd party
>documentation for modules that are already in the Python standard
>library.  For example, if someone wrote a good Tkinter manual that
>were licensed in a way that the PSF could drop it into the Python
>distro, then PSF should certainly consider including it.  The same
>goes for good docs about urllib2, or various other modules that
>currently have lousy docs.
>
>> > I found
>> >   http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/lang/python/tkinter.html
>> > to be a pretty good tutorial, though incomplete as a reference.
>>
>> Thanks for the URL, but that's just a short list of links, most of
>> which I've already seen.
>
>Sorry, I meant:
>
>  http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/ (html)
>  http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter.pdf   (pdf of same)
>
>You've probably seen this manual already.
If not, I'll second the recommendation for the pdf. It's not complete, but
it's quite useful and pretty easy to use. Hm, seems to be updated since I
downloaded a copy, guess I'll grab the newest ;-) Hm2, it doubled in size!

The creation dates are
*** FILE tkinter.pdf ***
/CreationDate (D:20030416170500)

*** FILE tkinter2.pdf ***
/CreationDate (D:20050803114234)

So I guess it could double in 2 years 4 months. I'll have to look into it.

Regards,
Bengt Richter