reading internet data to generate random numbers.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Nov 2 22:46:56 EST 2005

On 2005-11-02, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>> Doesn't your OS have an entropy-gathering RN generator built-in?
>
> Alternatively, if you want lots of high-quality random numbers, buy
> a cheap web camera: http://www.lavarnd.org/.

The thermal noise present in a CCD sensor is a good source of
random bits, but I don't get what all the stuff about taking
"snapshots of a physical chaotic process" has to do it.

> Using data from the Internet is just a bad idea.

I think that the timing of certain network events is one of the
Linux kernel's entropy sources.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm shaving!! I'M
                                  at               SHAVING!!