Making immutable instances

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Nov 24 21:47:43 EST 2005

"Giovanni Bajo" <noway at sorry.com> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>>> Björn Lindström wrote:
>>> Why do you think we have a frozenset, for instance? By Mike's
>>> argument, we shouldn't have it.
>> Not *my* arguments, certainly. Not unless you're seriously
>> misinterpreting them.
> Sorry then, I probably am. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

I'm seeing posts from you attribute to "Mike Meyer" (me) and "Mike" -
some of which definitely weren't me. So maybe it wasn't mine.

> What is your position about frozenset? By my understanding of your arguments,
> it is a hand-cuffed version of set, which just prevents bugs that could still
> be caught by testing.

I have exactly the same problem with frozensets as I do with sets - I
can't add attributes to either one. That frozenset can't be changed
doesn't bother me particularly.

> The same applies for the arbitrary restriction of not allowing sets
> to be key dictionaries (with their hash value being their id).

I can't parse that. What do you mean by "key dictionaries"?

      <mike