How to get started in GUI Programming?

peter.mosley at talk21.com peter.mosley at talk21.com
Mon Nov 28 09:06:33 EST 2005

A big thank you to all who responded.  There are too many to reply
individually, but to summarise ...

Thomas Güttler gave a link to an example program, editMetadata.py
which uses yes no dialogs and scaled images.  I've not yet tried to
learn from this, but looking at the code it seems to provide exactly
what I am looking for.  It uses the gtkMessageDialog class, which I
hadn't come across (the tutorial doesn't seem to mention it?)

Others recommended wxPython, PyQt and various derivatives.  The trouble
is there's too much choice!  But my experience is that under Linux
nothing ever works out of the box, and so I am reluctant to invite more
grief by installing fresh packages until I am sure those already
installed are not adequate.

Easygui had some supporters. I had already come across this, and while
I agree it is a delightfully simple tool to use, and ideal for i/o
operations, it is not sufficiently flexible for my needs.

One development is that my local public library has, to my surprise,
managed to locate a copy of 'Python and Tkinter Programming' by J.
Grayson.  I've not read it yet, and an initial flick through
doesn't look too promising but maybe I am mistaken..  I acknowledge
that Tkinter is a bit dated, and may not have a native 'look and
feel', but for me this would be outweighed by an accessible textbook.

So currently the choice is between continuing with PyGtk, using the
editMetadata.py code as a model, or Tkinter using Grayson's book.
I'll try both and see which is more successful.

Once again thank you to all who responded.