Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:22:44 EST 2005

Bengt Richter wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2005 03:07:47 -0800, "bonono at gmail.com" <bonono at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Bengt Richter wrote:
> >> Ok, so if not in the standard library, what is the problem? Can't find what
> >> you want with google and PyPI etc.? Or haven't really settled on what your
> >> _requirements_ are? That seems to be the primary problem people who complain
> >> with "why no sprollificator mode?" questions. They don't know what they really
> >> mean when it comes down to a DYFR (Define Your Felicitous Requirements) challenge.
> >> So DYFR ;-)
> >Beat me. I am not the one asking the question.
> Sorry, I thought you wanted an ordered dict too.
I want/need(well I am told I don't need) to loop over a dict in certain
order but I don't want or need a standard one as I don't think there is
ONE implementation of it. My original post was a response to the
question "why do one want ordered dict", in the tone of "there is no
way one wants it".

> >> So you'd like the mechanics to be automated and hidden? Then you need to
> >> DYFR for using the black box you want. Methods, semantics.
> >Lose you. don't know what you want to say.
> >
> I like solving problems. I just get frustrated when people don't focus on getting
> the problem defined, which IME is 2/3 of the way to a solution. I don't mind,
> in fact enjoy, rambling musings, but if someone seems actually to want a solution
> for something, I like to try to realize it concretely.
I tried to define the problem, and how I solve it(if it helps to convey
the message), but was told you don't have the problem in the first
place.