"End Of Line" Confusion

ncf nothingcanfulfill at gmail.com
Tue May 17 19:07:52 EDT 2005

I'm having an odd problem. I'm getting an error from IDLE saying "End
Of Line detected while scanning single-quoted string." Odd thing is,
it's not single-quoted, it's one of the doc-strings (if that's what you
call them).

In the following code (class name replaced with <<<NAME>>>), the error
is being highlighted as the hyphen joining "non" and "ASCII".

class <<<NAME>>>:
    <<<CUT>>>
    def digest():
        ''' char[28] digest ( )

        Return the digest of the strings passed to the update() method
so far.
        This is a 28-byte string which may contain non-ASCII
characters,
        including null bytes.
        '''
        raise NotImplementedError, 'digest() is not yet implemented.'

Thanks in advance. -Wes