Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Wed May 18 15:08:03 EDT 2005

Hi All--

john67 wrote:

> LOL!  That is really funny, in a dark humor kind of way.  I don't want
> the project to fail either.  I am not convinced that we will succeed if
> we go the Java route.  However, I am just a grunt in the chain and not
> in a position to make the decision.  I hope I can have some influence
> on the decision though.  I will be pleased if I can get someone to at
> least seriously consider Python.
>
> I understand your sentiment about not encouraging something that might
> fail to be done in Python.  Hopefully it won't come to that.  Thanks
> for the info on Phaseit apps.

What you're going to run into are two major stumbling blocks.  One,
Python's got no credibility with management types unless the
credibility's already there.  "Python?  Never heard of it.  Tell me
about it.  ...   Oh, it's interpreted, is it?  Interesting."  You can
see Python going down the sewer pipes, right on their faces.  Two,
security.  "This python sounds pretty interesting.  Tell me about the
security.  How can we prevent people from stealing our source code,
which we just spent millions developing?  ...  Hmm, trust the developers
out there not to peek?  Oh, sure, let's use it."  (True, there are ways
around the second, but you're going to have to talk _very_ fast and have
ALL the answers before the management type gets to his/her office and
shuts the door in your face and on your idea.)

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours