So many things that need to be decided....

Heather Stovold h_stovold at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 11:02:12 EDT 2005

> > I've decided on DrPython for the Editor....
>
> An editor for each language? Is that the kind of tower you get when
> you start using IDEs? I just kept right on using the same text editor
> I'd been using for the last 20 (now 30) years.

I have programmed in the past with a plain text editor too did it for
years. - but I much prefer programming with tools that have syntax coloring,
code completion, and the ability to run from the editor. Debugging tools are
a bonus too.

> > I still need to decide on a database........   I've really only used
Access,
> > and my SQL skills aren't that great.  It would also need to be free....
> > Any suggestions??
>
> Access is just a way of talking to a database. Which is what most
> Python database tools are - ways to talk to a back-end database.  If

MS Access is also a file-based relational-database program in Windows, which
you can access the database files either through the program, or the
database directly through other tools - including most MS programming
languages.

> You might be better off with something that doesn't require a separate
> server. Gadfly appears to qualify. There are probably other packages
> that give you a DB-API or SQL interace to an internal database that
> will serve your purpose.

At this point, it would be the best to not require a seperate server.  There
will be only 1 or a handful of people accessing the database at once.

> That won't depend on the database. It will depend on what you want
> your applications to do when it comes to generating reports - assuming
> you generate any at all.

Some reports are a definate requirement.

Thank you

Heather